CareFirst of Maryland
Preventative Health Care
CareFirst of Maryland also known as CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is one of many health insurance companies in Maryland that focuses of preventative health care. Prevention is the key to healthy living. Many diseases and other health problems are preventable and it’s up to you to take care of your health needs. CareFirst of Maryland knows the importance of preventative health care and they stress this to all of their subscribers. They have a number of resources and programs to keep you on track so that you’re in tip top shape and don’t have to hassle with a bunch of unnecessary illnesses (as much as you can be for your unique situation).
When you subscribe to CareFirst of Maryland health insurance you’ll want to get the most out of your benefits. With their emphasis on preventative health care, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t use what’s offered. Here are some pointers to get you on track to health prevention:
- Yearly check-ups – Go to the doctor at least once a year and get a physical done. A lot of people only think of babies when they hear about a check-up at the doctor’s office. But it’s for everyone, so don’t waste this valuable benefit.
- Cholesterol – If you’re twenty years or older (both men and women) you should get your cholesterol levels checked every five years. Too much bad cholesterol is bad for your heart and your heart is central to your health and survival. CareFirst of Maryland offers education around heart health which is a helpful benefit to anyone facing these issues.
- Dentist – Check-ups are needed every six months for optimal dental health. Schedule your visits in advance before you leave the office so you won’t get busy or forget to call and make that next appointment. It’s easy to let a year or two slip by before you realize you haven’t been to the dentist.
- Women – Since women are at high risk for certain health problems you need to make sure you get regular screenings for those issues that are specific to your gender. Different aged women require different types of screening but generally women need to be screened for breast cancer, cervical cancer, Chlamydia, and osteoporosis.
- Men – Men also have specific needs that are not as prominent for women. These include prostate cancer and aortic abdominal aneurysm. Different ages require different assessments but consult with your CareFirst of Maryland physician to see what’s best for you.
Keep open lines of communication with your health care provider and your doctor in order to implement the best preventative health care plan for you.
Wrong article? Not searching for “CareFirst of Maryland”? Try Medical Insurance Maryland instead.