Maryland Health Insurance Plan (MHIP)
Maryland Health Insurance Plan is the answer we recommend for Maryland individuals, families, and small business owners who have been unable to procure self employed health insurance Maryland due to health problems. MHIP is administered through CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield. The Maryland Health Insurance Plan was established under the Health Insurance Safety Net Act of 2002 by the Maryland General Assembly.
Enrollment in Maryland Health Insurance Plan gives your four plan options.
- Maryland Health Insurance Plan HMO
- Maryland Health Insurance PPO Plan with a $1,000 deductible
- Maryland Health Insurance PPO Plan with a $500 deductible
- Maryland Health Insurance High Deductible Health Plan with a $2,600 deductible
You may be eligible for the Maryland Health Insurance Plan if you are a resident of Maryland and:
- Have a qualifying medical condition
- Have been denied insurance in the past six months for medical reasons
- You are enrolled in, or have the opportunity to enroll in, individual health insurance that:
- Limits, restricts or blocks your coverage for a specific medical condition
- Has benefits similar to MHIP, but costs more because of your medical condition
- You are a child who has a qualifying medical condition (A parent or guardian would submit the application on behalf of the child.)
- You are switching from a high-risk pool in another state, and
- It has been less than 63 days since that coverage ended and
- You plan to live here permanently
Other Ways to Qualify
Maryland residents may also qualify for MHIP under the following conditions:
You lost your employer-sponsored group insurance and the continuation of benefits you elected has run out, or
You have a pension from the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, are at least 55 years old and are not entitled to Medicare*, or
Your job has been affected by competition from international trade*
*You may be eligible for a federal program called the Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC).
How to Apply
To apply for the Maryland Health Insurance Plan or MHIP+, simply print and complete the documents below. It is advised that you call our office before completing the documents so that we can answer any questions that you might have and assist you in completing the application. You can reach a Maryland Health Insurance Plan Expert at (866) 260-9829.